Apple Picking Reminders
As the cooler temperatures move in, you know what time of year it is!
When fall arrives, you know it’s time to pick your own apples. Before heading out to one of your local apple orchards, Ontario Farm Fresh would like to remind you about some guidelines.
- Call ahead or check the web site to sure the variety of fruits, vegetables and/or other specific products you want are ready and available.
- Morning and evening are cooler and more comfortable if you are picking your own produce.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes appropriate for the weather conditions. Rubber boots may come in handy. Don’t forget the sunscreen, hand sanitizer and bug repellent.
- Bring a cooler with ice packs for perishable items such as meat and fish.
- Don’t forget the cash. Many farms operate on a cash basis and are not equipped to handle credit cards or debit cards.
- Always remember to wash your hands before handling food especially if you have been in an animal display area.
- Take your camera. There will be lots of opportunity to capture some great memories.
- Check to see what the farm’s ‘Outside Food Policy’ is. They may not allow you to bring your own food and drink with you when visiting.
- Be prepared to pay an admission fee. In order to offer clean and safe areas to visit on the farm, an admission price may be necessary.
- Be clear on your directions. Google does not always work correctly in rural areas.