If you have fruit or vegetables in the fridge that look a little old, this is the perfect recipe to make use of them with. We used strawberries, but you can swap them for grated carrots & apples, or other berries!
This recipe was originally demoed at the National Home Show by myself (Anna, Toronto Home Shows Blog Editor).
This recipe makes 12 – 16 muffins depending on how generous you scoop the batter. It will take you about 45min to make from start to finish.
- 2 cups of chopped strawberries (You can also try 1 1/2 cups of grated carrot with 1/2 cup of grated apples)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest from one lemon
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. large flake oats
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
How to Prepare:
- Start by mixing fruit, oil, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, chia seeds, and oats. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- While waiting for the wet ingredients, mix your dry ingredients in a separate bowl (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon). Line one muffin tin with muffin liners, and set oven to 350ºF.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Using two spoons or an ice cream scooper place an even portion of muffin batter into the liners.
- Bake for 15 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. See the video of how it’s done below!