Gingerbread houses are always beautiful but the problem is they don’t always get eaten. Next time you’re entertaining a crowd try making a cupcake christmas tree, it’s simple and very easy to eat! The fun part is as the night goes on you can get guests to add more cupcakes to the tree!
Here’s what you need:
- one styrofoam cone (can be found at most art supply stores)
- 12-24 mini cupcakes depending on the size of cone you choose, we baked our favourite gingerbread cupcake recipe
- one batch of frosting, we chose cream cheese frosting
- piping bag and small star tip
- golden wrapped candies (we found these ones at bulk barn)
- large flat plate for tree
How to make:
- Place a little frosting in the centre of the plate. Gently press the styrofoam cone onto the icing. This helps keep the tree stable. You can let this sit and dry for a little while to make it more stable but we found it to be stable enough without letting it dry.
- Decide on a design! We love the simple look so stayed with gold and white. You can get creative and use any colour combination you like!
- Once you’ve decided on a design using a toothpick start placing the cupcakes and candies into the tree. Another approach is to place the toothpicks in first and add the cupcakes and candies after. This allows for a more symmetrical look.
- Once the tree is fully covered in candies and cupcakes start frosting the cupcakes. We would take each individual cupcake off the tree, frost it, and gently place it back onto the tree. You can also test your piping skills by piping the cupcakes while they remain on the tree.
- The final step is adding an ornament on top if you like! We chose a gold star that would match the rest of our tree design.
- Now your tree is ready to go! Take it to any party, or leave it on display as a holiday dessert for friends and family.