Using ribbons of fresh Ontario zucchini and perfectly ripe Ontario tomatoes, this tart is lovely for either lunch or as an appetizer.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Ontario Green or Yellow Zucchini
- 1 sheet (225 g) frozen butter puff pastry, thawed and refrigerated
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) basil pesto
- 10 Ontario Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely grated Gruyère cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Slice off and discard ends of zucchini. Using wide vegetable peeler, peel strips of zucchini lengthwise to form ribbons. After a few ribbons, turn zucchini and peel another side for better shaped ribbons. Place ribbons loosely in measuring cup, measure 2 cups (500 mL); set aside.
- Unroll puff pastry and leave on parchment paper. Place on baking sheet. Using fork, leave 1/2-inch (1 cm) border around edge of pastry, prick pastry many times. Thinly spread pesto over pastry. Arrange zucchini ribbons over pesto, curling, overlapping and weaving strips; leaving border bare. Place cherry tomatoes, cut side up on zucchini and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PROTEIN: 9 grams
FAT: 21 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 28 grams
FIBRE: 1 gram
SODIUM: 319 mg